The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, has rejected reports of a plan to dissolve President Muhammadu Buhari‘s cabinet.
Buhari had last week asked ministers to submit a comprehensive “status reports on policies, programmes and projects” from their respective ministries, departments and agencies.
The president asked them to make the submissions to the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha.
The announcement led to speculations that Buhari was planning to dissolve his cabinet ahead of his inauguration on May 29 for a second time.
Speaking State House correspondents at the end of the meeting of the Federal Executive Council on Thursday, Lai Mohammed disclosed that the cabinet will hold a valedictory service on the 22nd of May.
He said: “the cabinet is still intact, and we are going to have a valedictory service on 22nd of May”.
Meanwhile, in a statement by the media aide to Minister of Information and Culture, Segun Adeyemi, Lai Mohammed, explained that the fact that the valedictory session of the federal cabinet will be held on 22 May 2019 does not mean that the cabinet will be dissolved on the same day.
Clarifying his earlier statement to State House correspondents after
Thursday’s Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting in Abuja, the
Minister said it is the prerogative of the President to dissolve the
cabinet anytime he chooses.
”It is therefore inaccurate to extrapolate from my statement – that
the FEC valedictory session will hold on 22 May – to say that the
President will dissolve the cabinet on the same day. They do not mean
the same thing,’‘ he said.