Breaking: There are proofs CBN withdrew N100bn for Jonathan before 2015 elections – Presidency reportedly claims
The presidency has reportedly said it has evidence that the the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) got specific instruction to ensure about N100 billion was moved from the bank directly to the residence of former President Goodluck Jonathan, Vanguard has reported.
The report quoted an unnamed presidency source as saying compelling details have shown how several tranches of funds were illegally moved from the public by the Jonathan’s administration specifically ahead of the 2015 presidential elections. According to the reported source, the former National Security Adviser (NSA), Sambo Dasuki, personally supervised the physical transfer of the money from the CBN vaults to the private residence of the former president. “In one particular instance over N70 billion was released in parts from the national treasury between January 8 and February 25, 2015. The over $289 million which was also referenced last week by the Vice President is said to be included in this particular series of illegal transactions. “Besides, that in another illegal disbursement, the minutes of the Central Bank board meeting of 25th August 2014 indicated the board’s okay of another N60B requested by the former President and released later by the Central Bank,” the source reportedly said.
It also quoted another source as saying the sum was okayed by the CBN board and not tied to any project or procurement.
The sum, it was reported, was meant and disbursed purely for campaign purposes, through the office of the then NSA and the SSS leadership at the time adding that N60 billion that was okayed by the CBN on August 25, 2014 was said to have been shared between the two security agencies with N40 billion going to the NSA while N20 billion allegedly went to the State Security Services (SSS). “While some of these newly emerging fund disbursements have been traced to the former NSA, there are indications that some of the funds are unconnected to the ongoing Defence contract trials of the former NSA,while some might,” the source was quoted as saying. The report gave details of the deal as showing that documents including cash vouchers indicate that $289,202,382 was released in cash to the NIA by the Central Bank of Nigeria from the Joint Venture (JV) Cash Call account No: 000-0000-11658-366 of the NNPC/NAPIMS with JP Morgan Chase Bank, New York, USA. “At the exchange rate then of $199 to a naira, $289m was equivalent to about N60 billion,” the report said adding that if the money was not stolen, it would be at today’ s rate over N104 billion. Again, the source said findings showed that in another set of illegal fund withdrawals under one week between January 8 and 16, 2015, N1.5 billion was released in three tranches of N300 million, N400 million and N800 million respectively. “This money was released from the MEA Research Library Account to the Jointrust Dimension reportedly owned by Danjuma Yusuf and Nenadi Esther Usman,” the source said adding that the sum was transferred to their various political associates, which included a former minister that is critical to President Muhammadu Buhari’s government. “Further findings showed that N350 million was allegedly transferred to the former minister through his Zenith Bank Account No. 1004735721, on February 2, 2015. Also, another N250 million was allegedly transferred to him through the same Zenith Bank Account on February 19, 2015. “A document further showed that yet another N10 billion was released to the Office of the National Security Adviser by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) on September 15, 2015. “The money was said to have been released in tranches of foreign exchange of $47 million, $5 million, 4 million Euros and 1.6 million Euros. A letter from the Office of the NSA in November, 2014 further showed that the monies were released by the CBN as ‘funds for special services’,” the report said.
It then quoted a letter signed by the former NSA as saying: “Further to our discussion, you are pleased requested to provide the sum of Forty Seven Million United States Dollars (USD47,000,000,00)cash out of the Ten Billion Naira (N10,000,000,000,00) and the balance in Euro to this office for special services.” The report said: “Findings have shown that this particular CBN release of N10B was sourced in November 2014 from a N40 billion CBN released funds meant for Corporate Social Responsibility. “It was this N10 billion that former President Jonathan instructed the CBN governor and the then NSA to deliver to him personally in a private residence in Abuja.
Comments are closed.